Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How I Fell in Love with Glass

You can blame Leah for my love affair with glass. There's probably a lot of people out there who blame her, now that I think about it. Maybe she taught your torchworking class... maybe you spotted her mobiles at the Portland Saturday Market.


In my case, she lured me in with wire.


Leah was looking to hire an extra pair of hands to help with mobile production, and first on her list of things to hand off was cutting wire. By lucky coincidence, I was looking for a part time job... so we each had something the other needed. Before long, Leah had me playing with glass. I made not-very-loopy loops on the torch. (They were more triangles than loops.) I cut my way through buckets of scrap for use in mobiles. I took an Intro to Fusing class with Scott. I took a bunch of torchworking classes with Leah. (My favorite so far is making ornaments!) I invited friends to the studio and got them to fall in love with glass, too.


I've yet to get tired of all the possibilities. I love pawing through a tub of scrap and finding colorful treasures. I love mixing and matching bits and pieces until they become something new. There's always some new project to admire, some friendly glass artist to chat with. The company at Aquila is just as appealing as the glass! I've never felt anything but welcome there.


So what's your story? How did you fall in love with glass? What brought you to Aquila?

1 comment:

Sidra said...

This sounds so cool!